Whether you already have a dog or are thinking about getting one, this is the book for you. In Dog Care and Training for the GENIUS, Healey Lockett teaches you much more than just how to train your dog to sit or to stay. She teaches you to communicate with your dog, to learn how to read your dog’s behavior. She helps you understand the fundamentals of training so that you can effectively teach your dog.
But the most important thing she teaches you is how to develop a deep bond with your dog. Sharing your life with a dog enriches you in so many ways, because a dog is more than just a pet. A dog is your friend and a member of your family.
As a dog parent, you are the one who needs to teach your new family member how to live with you and how to behave in society. Many humans fall far short of their parental obligations, but that won’t be you! You are a discerning, compassionate, GENIUS dog parent who practices with your dog and teaches your dog how to behave. And you will learn how to do it without being a stern disciplinarian handing down harsh edicts from on high. On the contrary; training is fun! You and your dog will be become best buds if you sincerely put in the time and follow Healey’s recommendations.
About the For the GENIUS Series
The For the GENIUS series is a line of how-to books about any topic that people want to learn. Though written in a conversational style, GENIUS books are thorough and authoritative treatments of the subject. They are written by experts in the subject who want to share with others what they’ve learned. Pure genius!
Dog Care and Training for the GENIUS consists of five parts:
Part 1—So You Want to Get a Dog?
Part 1 asks you to take some time to reflect on what you want from a dog, what you need to provide for your dog, and what kind of dog you want.
- Chapter 1—Things to Consider Before You Bring Home Your New BFF
- Chapter 2—Responsible Dog Ownership
- Chapter 3—What Kind of Dog?
- Chapter 4—Purebred Dogs
Part 2—Essentials of Behavior and Training
Part 2 introduces you to dog behavior and the critical skills you’ll need to develop to train your dog.
- Chapter 5—The Wolf in Your House
- Chapter 6—Dog Communication
- Chapter 7—Speak to Your Dog in Dog Language
- Chapter 8—What Is Training?
- Chapter 9—Critical Training Elements
- Chapter 10—How to Tell Your Dog “Yes” and “No”
- Chapter 11—Shaping and Maintaining Behavior
Part 3—Good House Manners
Part 3 shows you how to take the time to properly teach your dog house manners.
- Chapter 12—House-Training, the Basics
- Chapter 13—The Crate
- Chapter 14—The Steps
Part 4—What Every GENIUS Dog Needs to Know
Part 4 shows you how to teach the five basic behaviors your dog should know.
- Chapter 15—How to Train Sit
- Chapter 16—How to Train Down
- Chapter 17—How to Train Stay
- Chapter 18—How to Train Come
- Chapter 19—How to Train Leash Walking
Part 5—Best Friends for Life!
Part 5 introduces you to a plethora of sports, activities, and dog-oriented services that will foster bonding and understanding between you and your fuzzy best friend.
- Chapter 20—He’s Great, But . . .
- Chapter 21—What to Do around Your Home
- Chapter 22—Travel with Your Dog
- Chapter 23—Dog Sports
- Chapter 24—Deepening Your Bond
- Chapter 25—And in the End . . .